Monday, September 28, 2009

The angry black man

I've been in the south a little over a month and most people are shocked that I haven't had more to write. However it's been a lot of smile in your face and pretend to be your buddy, so there's been nothing to express. We all know that can only last but so long before the real you comes out. Guess what folks the real you has come out. I've learned that I'm the angry black man. I've gone to two relatively highly ranked schools, who had a larger population of majority versus other. While going to these schools I've never been painted with the angry, lazy negro brush. However going along with public perception of the south the time is now.

Maybe it's me. Maybe it's the 10,000 Boston College students who never told me that's how I was looked at. Better yet, maybe it's the 500 University of Chicago GSB (it wasn't Booth when I was there so it's not Booth now) students who didn't paint me with that brush. I'm in a small southern school, where I am forced to dress the part. Yes I have to go to class dressed in business casual attire. I wore tims, white tees, air force ones, baggy jeans, north face coats, Boston oversized hats and had my headphones on but was never painted with that brush at either place. I wear argyle v necks, collared shirts, dress paints, and church shoes, but I am the angry black man.

I men a woman today who I discussed this with only to learn that she's the angry black woman. Her? Are you serious? Is that because she wraps her hair, speaks her mind and won't take your shit or is that because she's over 5'4", dark brown skin, and wraps her hair? Tell me it doesn't matter.

I was told that it's my job to fit in, speak up, and make sure I'm heard. The majority of the people reading this blog will laugh when they read that I need to speak up, or speak my mind. Some of you may even beg to meet the version of me that you've met. Maybe it's not me. Maybe it's not us.

Is the latino definitely going to stab you? Is the outspoken woman a bitch or lesbian? Is the big black man angry or lazy? The probability is actually no. The truth is that these may be true occasionally but the visual minority is what you know.

I'm a big, black, yankee, man who is living in a south that hasn't let go of the war. MF it's over. We's allowed to read now boss. Maybe I'm angry because I have to come to school and fight a fight that should be over damn it. Maybe I seem lazy because I'm 32 years old and see a bunch of millennials bickering about shit that isn't that important.

Maybe that Puerto Rican woman is just pissed that you just stared at her ass instead of listening to what she had to say. Yes before you say it, I looked at her ass, but she didn't catch me.

The point is that maybe you should actually step outside of your box, considering we step outside of ours every damn day, all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment