Friday, June 26, 2009

Just another rich guy

Today is the day after the death of the King of Pop. Michael Jackson is dead. I have heard people crying over this. Everybody is talking about it. I even know someone who called out of work because she was so upset.

I'm sorry folks but this is ridiculous. Michael Jackson died in 1988. The Michael Jackson we know and love died when his hair caught on fire during the filming of a pepsi commercial. He changed who he was, lost the curl, bleached his skin, and began diddling. He has become a mere shadow of the person he once was, living and making money on his own legacy.

Frankly Michael Jackson isn't worth a blog, however what is worth my words is the fact that I heard someone refer to Michael Jackson as her hero. I mean seriously folks is that what we have become? I remember the greatest words uttered by Charles Barkley are the infamous "I am not a role model". Are we so in need of role models that we will just grab someone who used to be able to sing and dance and call him our hero? There are plenty of heroes out there without having to apply the label inappropriately.

Celebrities are total strangers. They have no idea who you are, nor do they care who you are. If you died tomorrow your favorite celebrity wouldn't even have a second thought about it. You wouldn't be on the news and aside from in your immediate circles you wouldn't be water cooler talk either. You'd just be dead. End of story. My heroes are my grandfather, his wife, my father, my mother, my aunts and uncles. There may be a few work mentors sprinkled in there and some advisors I've had. Those are heroes. Those are people who had a direct impact on decisions I've made and things I've done. R. Kelly is not my hero. When I decide that I want to add peeing on teenage girls to my resume then the Pied Piper of R&B will be like Ghandi to me.

I mean, yes Christin Milian is sexy as hell. I would probably be willing to undergo a great many painful things to spend some quality time with her. However if she was shot tomorrow, she would get nothing more than a "damn that sucks...and I never even got to meet her".

What great contribution to society did Michael make? He sang in "We are the world" whoop de do. He made some of my favorite songs. I'll put "Off the wall" against any album anywhere, any time. However he didn't do anything socially or politically to help the world. In fact I'd argue that he did more harm than good to the dozens of childrens lives he ruined. Yes I do think he did something wrong. Maybe not molesting but some inappropriate touching did take place.

He's not a hero. The parents of those children should be heroes but they lost their jobs also. They relinquished their rights to be hero when they put their children in harms way. When they were so caught up in the money and fame that they allowed a stranger to spend alone time with their child. I'd slap my sister if she allowed anybody that nobody knew to be alone with my nieces. Fame doesn't make you special. Like a childhood friend of mine said "he's just another dead rich guy".

My hero is Jesus. He sacrificed himself for my sins. Michael Jackson took a few ass whippins from Joe. I think Michael needed a few more and maybe he wouldn't have been diddling.

2 comments:

  1. Seriously, all this should stop. I give him all the prop's for the great memories his music help create, but it ends there. This type of maniac attention is for the g.o.a.t.'s, Ali, and the like. Mike was all over the place in a battle to shake his true self. Let's not forget he had tremendous opportunity, and talent that very few ever get.

    ReplyDelete