Wednesday, April 29, 2009

I'll be fake

So my first confession is that I'm not looking out of my window coming up with this one. This has come from multiple observations over time.

Yesterday I was walking into my building with a massive black therapeutic boot on my leg. A young man, approximately 22 years old, was in front of me. As we both walk toward the elevators, he presses the "up" button and quickly jumps in the elevator. The young lady he was walking with asks him if he is going to hold the door open for the guy with the boot on his leg, He responds "Hell no". The door closes and I stand there.... pissed.

I'm not pissed because I missed the elevator. I'm pissed because he was rude.

I am a professional people watcher. I love to observe everyday interaction and see how people naturally respond to each other. I watch people walk down the street, screaming into their cell phone's, texting while standing next to someone else, all the while having no actual interaction with the world surrounding them. I often wonder if technology is really that great.

Take a second to look back at your childhood. Think of how many people said things that implied the generation you're in has no manners. Well, I'm 31 and the group behind me has me saying it. I've spent time in elevators with 4 people who are all together and texting. No communication with each other (at least verbal communication). Why hang out with someone you don't want to speak to? Kids have no imagination. Ask a kid to go outside these days and it's punishment. I remember summer days where I would wake up, get dressed and go outside, not to return home until the street lights came on.

In my dating adventures, I have actually grown to hate cell phones. Unless you are a Dr you really don't need to answer your phone while we're at dinner. Nothing is that important. The world existed fine before cell phones. Someone would call you; if you weren't home they would leave a message. When you returned home, you got said message and responded. Amazing.

Set your phone down some day and go out without it to see how you feel. If you're anxious, it's time for you to seek therapy. You have reached the point the Matrix speaks of. Machines are running your life and unless you happen to be good friends with Neo, maybe you should ease up on that. If I have to be Morpheus, I'm going to pop you in the mouth when I go to unplug you.

I have also learned in dating that if I do chivalrous things, such as open a door or pull the chair out, I get looked at like a circus chimp. I'm thanked for doing things that just fall in line with common decency. I shouldn't be praised for having manners. In fact, I often hear people say, "well I could have lied". So are you saying that I should thank you for telling me the truth? You don't thank your lungs for working do you? No, because that's what they're supposed to do, dumb ass. You're supposed to be decent, honest, polite, etc. It takes a conscious effort to be rude.

The last point may be the most near and dear to my heart. It has to do with keeping it real. What is keeping it real? I had someone tell me how real she is and that's why she's single. Guys can't handle how she's real. Yeah she's real single. Keeping it real isn't being belligerent just for the hell of it. Keeping it real isn't telling someone how much you don't like him or her, or find them unattractive. That's rude. That's not real. If keeping it real means I have to be a thug, be rude, be a bum, or be a bigger asshole than I already am, then I prefer being fake. Shit Barack Obama is the President and he's fake as a mf based on that, so I would like to thank you in advance for pointing out my fakeness.

I started this entry with the thoughts of how rude the generation behind mine is. However, my generation isn't any better and can pretty much take responsibility to setting the standard that the generation behind us has lived up to. As we venture into parenthood, I hope we see those rude kids, who you want to choke in the grocery store, or the brat walking down the street telling his mother to shut up and realize that we have a responsibility to make sure our kids are not that kid. I was more afraid to act up outside of my house than in my house. Had my mother ever heard or seen me acting up in front of other people...I cringe thinking about that ass whoopin.

1 comment: